Friday, February 1, 2008

My Vote Is My Vote

Hi Friends and Family,

Feel free to disagree or agree with me and just know that as an American I love my country and as you, and whatever our political leanings are, we all want what is best for our country.

Those of you that know me personally know that I am a social, national security and economic conservative. I am passionate about politics because I understand what the politicians do in Washington DC affects me and my family and you and your family either directly or indirectly. I have followed politics for the past 30 years and I understand the basic political liberal and conservative philosophies and I have kept abreast of both the Republican and Democrat parties and their stances and on the issues.

As a social, national security and economic conservative, I support Mike Huckabee. Mike Huckabee is a compassionate Christian man, who values the life of fellow human beings. His social conservatism is more important to him then his economic conservatism which drives Rush Limbaugh to say that Huckabee is a liberal. As much as I love Limbaugh and Sean Hanity, it is clear they do not grasp the concept that Huckabee’s faith in Christ causes him to place emphases on how certain political policies affect people.

For example, while Governor of Arkansas Huckabee favored children of illegal immigrants to receive an education. He granted over a thousand pardons and clemencies to criminals on a case by case basis. Huckabee supported a three cent a gallon gas tax increase to pay for rebuilding one of the worst road systems in America. Does that make him a liberal? If he opposed the death penalty, favored open borders, believed that government is best equipped to solve any problem then I would agree he is a liberal, but that is not the case. Huckabee signed off on the execution of 16 murderers, denied clemency of thousands of criminals because he knows that there are some people that are a danger to us as a society and should be locked up. On the other hand there are others that go to jail, repent of their crimes and if given the opportunity come out as better people and go on to live meaningful and productive lives.

If you have one of the worst road systems in the country and no money to fix them, how is not fixing them a conservative act? Building an infrastrure in order for the economy of your state to work is a conservative act in my opinion. While some taxes were raised in Arkansas to build better roads, Huckabee also lowered many other taxes which are consistent with economic conservatism which says the lower taxes are the better off people and the economy will be. Huckabee’s Fair Tax Plan is totally conservative because it says people should be able to earn all that they can and only pay taxes when they purchase goods and services. On immigration he did not support open borders, he said as long as the federal government does not enforce federal laws and allow illegal immigrants into the country in the first place, then it is better for the children of those illegal immigrants to be in school then to roam the streets, Each of these criticisms of Huckabee can be understood through the prism of social conservatism.

On balance Mike Huckabee is more conservative than any other candidate. While the establishment Republicans and talk radio personalities are pushing people to support McCain or Romney, it galls me when Mitt Romney and his supporters tell me that my vote for Huckabee is a vote for John McCain. I have great respect for John McCain as a veteran and he was right on the surge in Iraq, but he has been wrong on so many other important issues that I simply do not believe he is conservative Republican of my liking. McCain proudly considers him-self a maverick. The problem with mavericks is while they may be independent they are also unpredictable and many of McCain’s policies have hurt conservatives. Mitt Romney is talking a good game, but he is a johnny-come-lately to conservatism and to be quit frank, I don’t trust him. I happen to agree with McCain that Romney’s convictions shift with office he is running for. Ron Paul is simply a loon and Clinton and Obama are die hard liberals, pro-abortion, pro-gay rights, anti-capitalistic, anti-military individuals whose policies if enacted would destroy our country.

After an honest evaluation of all the Presidential candidates, I have come to the conclusion that I want Mike Huckabee to be my President. Being that this is the primary season and only five states have voted, my vote and your vote still counts. My encouragement to you is after you studied the issues and the positions of each candidate then to go vote for the person that you want to be your President.

No comments: